Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Tomorrow's Devices



Intel has a project called Tomorrow's Project where their Chief Futurist Brian David Johnson recruits science fiction writers to produce "science fiction prototypes" such as future tech that help the engineering and product groups spark discussion.

They discuss their vision of the coming world and what they would like to build in a whole new way.

Users "don't care about the technology anymore," said Jim McGregor, chief technology strategist at researcher In-Stat. "They care about how they can use it. It's cultural change that needs to happen" at Intel, McGregor said.


The chipmaker is trying to speed along the change by reaching engineers in a language they understand: science fiction. Last year Intel hired four sci-fi writers to study the company's latest research projects and produce an anthology, "The Tomorrow Project," envisioning how cutting-edge processors might be used in the near future.

Once again, sci-fi writers are on the cutting edge of what the world could look like tomorrow. And business and technology are looking to them to help lead the way.

So take heart all you writers! You may be contributing far more to the advancement of civilization than you think.

Reference

10 comments:

  1. Yes, in generations to come there will be many changes and most of it will be contributed to the authors of today such as your good self and Alex.
    Most impressive post.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about that! Hey, I rather just know it works as well, not how.
    Yvonne, still hoping someone will take my teleporter idea and run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex, why not run with it yourself?

    Authors such as Isaac Asimov already saw some of their ideas get developed. I think its a wonderful exercise.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually doesn't surprise me, but it's still pretty darn cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we need to make up more neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just too cool! I always knew creative types would rule the world one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Intel's idea is great, but not surprising. After all it was the guy who wrote Dick Tracy that pointed the way toward our tiny digital devices. I was always fascinated by that two-way wrist watch. What an amazing idea, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry for your computer/blog troubles.

    Too cool, is right! On the cutting edge -- does make you think doesn't it!

    I'm still waiting for food in pill form -- what's taking so long? Oh, yeah, the food industry is a big business. Make the world sick in the last 60 years, and blame the consumer -- even better. Just change stock holdings from food to medical.

    Sorry, I went in a whole other direction, didn't I.
    Glad to find you again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Stephen .. I thought I'd subscribed - but the wires weren't glued together!! I wonder where we'll be in 10 years .. so much is happening, so many possibilities ... I like things to work, and stay working ... I'm sure you feel much the same way - thankfully I haven't had your hassles.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's pretty cool, hiring fiction writers to be part of a scientific project. Hope this blog continues to function.

    ReplyDelete