Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for Leo, The First Private Space Telescope


My A to Z Theme focuses on the amazing breakthroughs mankind is on the cusp of discovering.

The Leo (Low Earth Orbit) Space Telescope was launched by Planetary Resources. It is an earth-observer that provides "on-demand" Earth imaging to a wider consumer base due to an "unprecedented low price. Leo is also an asteroid-locator.

“Leo provides spectacular views of the Earth’s surface and deep space, including the rich, virtually unexplored areas between our planet and the Sun. The Leo spacecraft camera will provide detailed celestial and Earth observations where you want them, and when you want them. Leo is capable of surveying for near-Earth asteroids during one orbit, then be retasked for rain forest observation on the next. The possibilities for utility and engagement are only limited by the imagination of the user.”

Planetary Resources’ Vision: bringing the natural resources of space within humanity’s economic sphere of influence and propelling our future into the 21st century and beyond. Water from asteroids will fuel the in-space economy, and rare metals will increase Earth’s GDP.

Planetary Resources’ stated goal is to "expand Earth’s natural resource base" by developing and deploying the technologies for robotic asteroid mining industry and the capability to transport the resulting products wherever desired. Another goal is to develop the technology to affect and control the orbits of small asteroids, including potentially hazardous objects in near-Earth space which present a serious risk of impact with the planet.

Check out the Reference Link. This is a fun Web site to navigate through. Gotta love what the private sector is doing these days!

And yes, this is my new blog. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. Please take a moment to follow. Thanks!

12 comments:

  1. Pleased you have your problems sorted and I did manage to follow eventually.

    Enjoy reading with interest you L post, though I'm not into Space subjects I found this very absorbing to read.
    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen, sorry it's been a while since I've popped around. I was on a break for a while and then A-Z came along and I've been mad busy, and now you have a new blog!! I'm following this new one now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have interesting information Stephen. I hadn't heard of this telescope before.

    JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

    ReplyDelete
  4. First from the private sector? Soon those will outnumber government telescopes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to be impressed with what the private sector is doing. Now Obama wants to capture an asteroid. Sometimes it takes competition to light a fire under the politicians to put our tax dollars to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping we have something coming down the pipeline to thwart those asteroids that want to visit earth. With that and an early warning from Leo we might stand a chance to duck. Great post. So interesting to learn about this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Stephen! I had your new blog address listed in my sidebar, but forgot to add to my reader and come follow you. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, sorry haven't been around in a while. I see you have a new blog, so I guess I am a new follower, or an old follower just now discovering your new blog! What a fascinating theme.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to wrap my head around asteroid mining and keep coming up with visions of Dune and worms and that stuff that turns your eyes blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am intrigued. Popping over to the link.

    ReplyDelete