Tuesday, November 5, 2013

ISWG, Writers4Writers, This Month In Astronomy, and National Nacho Day

Beau Last Christmas
ISWG: My concern this month is our fourteen year old Yorkie named Beau. He’s a regular member of the family. You see, we got Beau at a time when it had been difficult for us to have kids. Beau officially made us a family. But God graciously gave us two awesome daughters after that! But Beau is at that point where we have to seriously consider putting him down.
 
I’ve tried, only to turn around and bring the little guy back home. With the weather getting colder, he is really struggling to just walk. I don’t want to see him suffer this bad. One day, sooner rather than later, I’ll have to wake up and make that fateful decision. I just hope he can make it for another family Christmas picture.
 
Writers4Writers: This month we will spotlight Michael Offutt and Nick Wilford. Please join us Wednesday November 20th in support of these two awesome and amazing writers!
 
Did You Know: India launched its first rocket to Mars on Tuesday, aiming to reach the Red Planet at a much lower cost than successful missions by other nations. The Mars Orbiter Mission, also known as Mangalyaan, mission positions the emerging Asian giant as a budget player in the latest global space race.
 
Probes to Mars have a high failure rate, and a success would be a boost for Indian national pride, especially after a similar mission mounted by Russia and China failed to leave Earth's orbit in 2011. Reference
 
Fun Fact (or not): India's space program began 50 years ago and developed rapidly after Western powers imposed sanctions in response to a nuclear weapons test in 1974, spurring its scientists to build advanced rocket technology. Five years ago, its Chandrayaan satellite found evidence of water on the moon. Nothing like the threat of a war of mass destruction to get a space program off and running.

 
This Month is Astronomy: I’ll have a new TAB each month for upcoming celestial phenomena. November has an amazing lineup of spectacular events avid and novice sky watchers won’t want to miss. Views of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, two meteor showers, the ISON comet and of course the rare hybrid eclipse of November 3 will highlight this month. I should have this TAB finished in a week or so. You’ll want to tune in for this the beginning of every month. It’s amazing what you can see with the naked eye, with binoculars, and a cheap telescope.

Steve's Science And Other Fun Stuff: On Thursday, take a moment to check out my post on the Blogging A to Z Challenge blog. I have a summation of what I'm all about. I think it's very cool and I'm sure you will too. Just tale a moment and click on Einstein's face at the top of my right side bar. You will be glad that you did!
 
 
National Nacho Day: How cool is this! November 6th is National Nacho Day. So go ahead and treat yourself to a plate of your favorite nachos! Me, I’m going for carne asada with lot of cheese, refried beans, and guacamole (hold the sour cream, please).
 
Question: Are you going out for nachos this today?

21 comments:

  1. Nachos always sound good to me. Hope India is successful with the Mars mission. I had no idea they had a space program. Sorry to hear about your dog.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. No nachos for me tonight. Bland food for me until my stomach settles.

    Poor Beau; I hope he hangs on one more Christmas for you.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Beau. I'm very sorry for you. I've lost so many pets over the years, I can't bring myself to adopt any anymore. :(

    Thanks for the India and moon info. Cool. But not a cool as Mexican food - nachos, quesadillas, fajitas, and more. LOVE that stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to get my dog put down earlier on in the year, so I feel your pain. You just have to know that what you're doing is the right thing. I hope you get your family Christmas picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your dog. We just got our first puppy (my first dog ever) in April. I hope you're able to do what needs to be done. And funny it's Nacho Day. I just made some for my daughter last night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you and L.G. Smith trying to make me cry all day? Beau is adorable and now I need to go snuggle with my two puppies. I hope he gets to spend Christmas with you and that somehow you will be able to say goodbye when the time comes. I'm not looking forward to that in our future. Those sweet little faces that look up at you with such love and trust steal your heart every time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about Beau! I can't imagine being in that position with my Patches. She's my everything.

    India and Mars, that is news!

    W4W's noted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about Beau. I know how hard it can be to have to decide when it is time to put a beloved pet down. We had to make that decision a year ago for our cat Rusty. I hope you and your family get to have one more Christmas with Beau.

    I didn't know that India had a space program. Has it been in the news? I'll have to tell my family it is National Nacho Day. If I had known sooner, I'd have planned to make one today. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear about Beau. It sucks our furry friends don't live as long as we do.
    And I'm having nachos for dinner tonight in honor of today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart aches for you making the decision about your dog. We've had to do that three times. Each time progressively harder. National Nachos Day? How cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post was most touching, and left a lump in my throat, I have wet eyes. I understand, I have been there. I too hope Beau will be in your family photo for Christmas. I do know Beau will forever live in your hearts. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor little doggy. I like your other topics though. Mars is extremely interesting and I looooooove nachos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry to hear about Beau. I've been through it. It's easier to make the decision to put him down when you realize the longer you make him hang on for you, the more he has to suffer. It's tough because of how much you love him, but you'll do it when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm feeling for you about the dog. We lost our dog two years ago, but he passed on his own, healthy right to the end. But we had to put our cat down about three weeks ago. We're still a little heart broken. It's a tough decision.
    I'm looking forward to your new tab and I didn't know about the nachos day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My first comment is agreeing, Poor Beau, but if he is in pain as you say, then Steve you MUST steel yourself to take him to the vet. Its hard, I know, I've done it, but it is cruel to leave him in agony.

    Thanks for all the updated information - I heard about India's rocket to Mars and was surprised, I didn't know they had such an advanced space programme. I too hope they make it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you live by an El Torito restaurant, just say the word CRUNCHY and you can get a free plate of nachos for two.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE my animals and my heart is so sad for you. On one hand I'm always so glad to have had them in my life and know they had a good life because of our love. On the other, it's just sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sad about Beau. I will have nachos and send up a little pray for Beau.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nachos are the best! My fav are at Buffalo Wild Wings. Sorry about your little guy. Pets definitely carve out special spots in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so sad! Nachos sound like a good idea.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Steve .. so pleased Beau started your family life for you and now you have your two wonderful daughters ... there's never a good time to lose a pet - my thoughts during this phase of life ...

    Nachos .. once in a while oh yes!! But they're not all over the place here!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete