Thursday, July 11, 2013

Weekend Follies

Hi everyone and welcome to the Weekend Follies, a great way to cap off the week with a laugh!
 
But First: We had two amazing writers visit this week. If you haven't already, take a few moments to scroll back and check out this week's posts by Lori N. Spielman and Susan Kay Quinn.
 
Freebie: Laura Eno's Jewel of Shaylar, Book 1 of the Kingdoms of Chandra, is FREE at Smashwords until July 31ST. CLICK HERE and use code SW100 when checking out.
 
Do You Stereotype: I try to steer clear of stereotyping. but I imagine I do, at least to an extent. But other writers will stereotype in the name of free speech.

Speaking of stereotyping, I think of this beginning clip from Undercover Brother starring Eddie Griffin. Love this opening scene. If you haven't seen this it's definitely worth renting. It Ain't No Thing.



14 comments:

  1. I think we all stereotype to an extent. Stereotypes exist for a reason, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura, and stereotypes - sometimes it's hard not to - have you seen reality TV lately?

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me think that perhaps we are all stereo types in one way or another, looking around different places I have been to over the years I have seen quite a bit of that and of course there's the TV.

    Enjoy your week-end.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! Now that's one cool dude!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yolanda brings up a great point. Reality TV has brought stereotyping to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Alex, I do think stereotypes exist for a reason, so for some characters, they will be more like their stereotype, but others will not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thrilled to get Laura's book this week, I know it will be a great read. Thanks for the laughs, I've never seen that movie.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit to creating some stereotypes in my older novel attempts. I have some planned for my new WIP, but now it's different -- now I call them archetypes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes I tend to fall into the stereotype mode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lexa brings up a good point: archetypes. Thanks Lexa for the pertinent follow up post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve .. love the video - looks like I need some driving skills to keep my drink from spilling ...

    We all do stereotypes along the way somewhere ... I must get Laura's offer ..

    Cheers and have a fun weekend with the family - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only stereo-type a little, not enough to get too noticed :)

    Love love the baby picture.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that's some driving skills. Not a drop of pop was spilled in the making of that clip. : )

    ReplyDelete