Tuesday, June 30, 2020

IWSG July 2020


Hello everyone and as always thanks for stopping by. These are the co-hosts for July 2020’s Insecure Writers Support Group brought to you by Jenni Enzor and his team of co-hosts: Beth Camp, Liesbet @ Roaming About, Tyrean Martinson and Sandra Cox.

Be sure to stop by their sites and give them some love for all their hard work! This during what has to be one of the craziest years in recent memory! 

July 1 Question There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade? 

I see articles and videos about things like downloading and playing back dreams (fascinating or frightening depending on the individual being tested) and storing our thoughts while we lay in a cryogenic state, perhaps due to a disease waiting for science to discover a cure, only to upload them when science has discovered a way to bring us back. The exponential power of our latent untapped brain power waiting to be discovered could supersede that of technology doubling every 18 months.



 


 As a writer, I would certainly look at using these super powers for good. But I would also use them for my personal use, and I would love to be able to think words, phrases and sentences and have them appear on my monitor. I mean, how cool would that be!!! I could make changes in an instant and save so much time writing and rewriting a story. 

Of course, I’m sure I would still need my editor. For some unexplained reason I just don’t think tapping into our unused portions of our brains would be perfect. 

With me, the shortfall I’m sure would be that I would still need an editor. 

Question How are you planning to spend the 4th of July and the rest of the summer. I had plans to travel and see family but there are some who are at risk and I may have to put things off indefinitely.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen - there's certainly going to be lots of changes ... but I hope we keep our brains learning and working. Take care but enjoy your 4th July celebrations ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary we do need to keep our brains moving forward for solutions many of which should not be that difficult.

      Delete
  2. That would be cool to have brain superpowers. I'm staying in for the holiday weekend. Even though the restrictions have lightened up, cases are going up in Michigan and it feels safer to go on as we have been these past months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie, we are doing the same. I'm ordering a DEVO energy dome face shield as it looks so much easier to breathe in.

      Delete
  3. Wow, just thinking about the innovations you describe is a brain workout. Fascinating! It would be cool to write by thinking it, but I can see it getting messy!

    Over here, our government has decided to celebrate July 4th by opening up the pubs (in England), which I can see being chaotic given the state of some beaches. In Scotland, where I am, we're putting it off longer. Hope you have a nice weekend whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Now that is quite the idea. I think capturing dreams would be amazing, although perhaps at times scary, and maybe even sad. That said, some dreams are just so wonderful, I'd love to be able to put them on repeat. As for writing my thoughts, well, I might get in trouble with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone else posted about wanting that - I think it was CD. Makes me think about the movie Brainstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being able to think words and phrases and have them appear on the screen would be great. When I was a kid and started writing books, I kept saying I wish I could plug a cord into my head and then print out the story already written. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've cancelled any out-of-town travel and now debate the pros and cons of going to the recently opened zoo.

    I would love to download my dreams, even the scary ones. They are very entertaining and I hate that I can't remember them. Some are beautiful. Recently, I've also had songs pop into my head as I fall asleep and they aren't songs from the radio. My brain is making them up. Some aren't half bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated happy IWSG day! My July 4 weekend plans are to celebrate my son's birthday (he was born on July 4), clean the house, and spend as much time as I can outside in the garden and the forest near our home. We are still self-isolating as much as possible, because case counts in Arizona are through the roof.

    ReplyDelete