Tuesday, April 30, 2019

IWSG May 2019, Introverts vs. Extroverts, and The Smoulder


Hello everyone and as always thanks for stopping by. These are the co-hosts for May 2019’s Insecure Writers Support Group brought to you by Alex J. Cavanaugh and his team of co-hosts: Lee Lowry, Juanita Key, Yvonne Ventresca and T. Powell Coltrin

Be sure to stop by their sites and give them some love for all their hard work this month! 

May 1 Question What was an early experience where you learned that language had power? 

Well I must say being a bit of an introvert I struggled early with all aspects of language; verbal, physical, subtle, the smoulder, etc. So I learned to take it slow and easy. I’ve always been a bit of a slow starter, but make no mistake I’m in this for the long haul. 


The Smoulder

I realized in junior high gym class we’d have to run distances. My gm teacher, she knew me from being a teacher in elementary school with a wicked sense of humor, mocked me as I quickly fell to the back of the pack. But I showed her and beat the crowd as I eventually passed each of them to finish first. 



Okay, back to language. I’m far better with the written than the spoken word. Dealing with people is a bit of a challenge sometimes but I learned a long time ago to ‘Fake It Until I make it’. It works for me. I found the balance and can produce results and in the end this is what matters. It’s not necessarily how you start it’s how you finish. 

Question Do you consider yourself more of an extrovert or an introvert?

21 comments:

  1. Since you're a writer, it's totally okay that you are better with the written vs. the spoken word. And I bet you draw on the challenges you faced as a kid in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, fortunately I had friends in numerous groups I just didn't have to be the face of the groups and do all the talking.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely better with the written word. Probably because I can't pause real life to think of the perfect thing to say. With writing I can take as long as I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you share the perspective of many of us thanks.

      Delete
  3. To be sure, I am completely agree with you, I am an amazing fan of your site, A

    real bumper post Keep making such amazing post,


    Thanks for sharing.

    Are You Looking for local or outstation rides ? Best taxi services. Book Aashi

    holidays service & enjoy your trips.


    Taxi services in Jaipur |

    Taxi in jaipur |

    Jaipur Sightseeing Taxi |



    Regards

    Sameer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often when I am in public settings I have to goad myself to fake it until I make it. At this stage in life, I know I can do it. Still, it's not always a comfortable situation for me, so I completely hear you! Hope all is well, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, thanks for stopping by long time no see. I still fake it till I make it but I never could have made it until I first faked it until I made it. Maybe I used a wormhole to pull it off. I'm not confirming or denying.

      Delete
  5. If I can write what I'm going to speak, I am much better off, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, thanks for stopping by. The sword is just as sharp on both sides and cuts both ways. Whatever that means. Not so sure now. Maybe too much vino. Sounds kinda cool though.

      Delete
  6. I think my first memory of the power of language was when my older brother suggested I say a certain word to our parents. That language had the power to get me sent to my room with a swat o my bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an outgoing introvert! And if I was at the back of the pack, there I usually stayed. Loved to run, just wasn't very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely an introvert who communicates better through the written word. Thankfully, I've reached a point in my life where my contact with the human world is primarily with my tiny group of like-minded people, making forays into the world of extroverts less exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so much more comfortable writing than speaking...and yes, so much an introvert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another member of the introvert club here - if introverts want to be in such a club? I'm also not good at expressing myself verbally. At least with the written word, you get more time to think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, writing gives me a better shot at actually conveying what I intend. I'm not sure where I fall on the introvert-extrovert scale. If I'm engaged and interested with what's happening around me, I'm comfortable enough to jump in and participate, but if I'm not I pretend I have the super power of invisibility.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just pre-scheduled a post for my blog to go up much later for introverts (I am one) and totally agree that "faking it till you make it" is how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am an introvert, but I'm not shy. I do a lot of thinking before I speak or get involved. Good job on the running. I as a PE teacher and would never have ragged on anyone for being in the back of the pack.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely I'm an introvert. Oh, I can put myself out there with the best of them, but then I've got to crawl into my cave and recuperate. It took me a while to learn to "Fake it till you make it." It's a powerful life skill! Love the smoulder, btw! Happy writing in May!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm more an introvert and so am more comfortable with the written word. I feel I can focus my expression better through the written word. However, I'll do my share of speaking with other people (aside from family), normally with ones who share my interests, especially my nerdy interests.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's awesome! Words had that effect on me. When someone tries to discourage me, not always, but often I regroup and try hard, just to prove them wrong. I guess in that sense, I'm trying to shatter the power their words could have on me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm better with the written than spoken. Happy IWSG.

    ReplyDelete