Tuesday, January 5, 2016

IWSG, January Celestial Calendar and StarTracker App

Hey everyone, welcome back and hope you all had a safe and happy Holiday! And what better way to kick off the New Year than with a post with the Insecure Writers Support Group, brought to you by Alex Cavanaugh and his awesome co-hosts L.G. Keltner, Denise Covey, Shari Larsen, J. Q. Rose, Chemist Ken, and Michelle Wallace. Be sure to stop by and give them some love as being a co-host for IWSG is a lot of work. 

My IWSG: Re-edits. Arrgghh! I released Salem’s Daughters in October 2015. I thought I had all my edits finished. But it was brought to my attention by an Amazon Reviewer that my overuse of “...” made him think there were missing words and wondered if it was an author or an upload problem. The usages of “...” was meant to show broken dialogue when a character stuttered or was interrupted. Examples:

“What the ...” was all Bob could mutter, as he realized what was unfolding. 

“Wait a minute. Phil, you promised. You ... my father worked here.” 

“I did better than that. I quit. And I’m so happy. I feel so ... I’m not sure."

I did a search and there were about a hundred such usages. I see now it’s awkward so I went through and go rid of all but about three. And I found a few more typos and corrected them. Reads much better now. 

2016 Sky Watching Events: This year has so many amazing astronomical events on top. Many you can see with the naked eye, a good set of binoculars, or a cheap telescope from your backyard (as long as the night time skies are clear). Here are January’s amazing and awesome celestial events: 

Jan. 3-4 Quadrantid Meteor Shower This annual sky event is known for being the first major meteor shower of the new year. 

January 6th Venus, Saturn and the Moon A close grouping of two planets and the moon in the dawn sky. The following morning, the moon will have moved to the other side of Venus and Saturn. 

January 9th Venus and Saturn A rare chance to view two planets in the same telescopic field in the dawn sky. 

January 20th A Planet Party Ask any sky-watching enthusiast and they'll tell you it will be pretty cool to see Venus and Saturn as close together as they will be on Jan. 9. Once they've drifted apart later in the month, however, they'll have company. Mercury, Mars and Jupiter will also appear in the early morning sky starting around January 20th. 

January 24th Full Moon

January 27th Jupiter and the Moon Both are close in the sky, and rise together around 10 p.m. local time. 

Very Cool App Go to Google Play or the iTunes and check out StarTracker Mobile Sky Map for your phone or tablet. For a demo Click Here.

Question How was your holiday? Are you glad it's over?