Sunday, February 14, 2016

Summer Promotions and Such

Hi all, thought I’d take a moment and tell you what I’ve been up to regarding promotions and such. 

Like many of you, planning for book promos takes place well in advance. So here’s what’s on tap for me beginning the first of many and going all the way through Labor Day Weekend. 

What I Won’t Do Often as important or more so than what I will do. I’m hitting the Easy Button. There are a lot of things I won’t be doing simply because they are not productive when it comes to a full-on promotional campaign. 

Blogging is one. I usually take the summer off with the exception of the Insecure Writers Support Group anyway. Social Media such as Twitter and Facebook will take a back seat, although I will use them just not as much as I have in the past. 

What I Will Do I not only live in a major metropolitan area, but also in a major tourist magnet. Local book signings are on my list. I sure do miss the days of Borders Books and Barnes and Noble book signings. But there are lots of Indie bookstores from San Diego to Los Angeles, Orange County, and the Inland Empire. All within a short drive from home as I’m right smack dab in the center of everything. 
I'm Great at Hawking my Books on the Street

And I’ll peddle physical books out of my trunk up and down the coast to locals, tourists, and smaller hotels. I’ll include a sign on an easel with a QR code for those who would rather download a copy directly from Amazon. 
QR Code for Easy Download

I’m also booking booths at large events such as Fourth of July Street Fairs and Readers Festivals that are everywhere. Possibly libraries too. I’ve overlooked these opportunities far too long. I’ll sell my physical books as well as have my QR code for people to download copies. 

Forthcoming Breakthrough Trilogy Box Set
I’m also putting together really cool new graphics and such. Then there is the Breakthrough Trilogy Box Set. And I’m trying real hard to complete the first book of my new Young Adult / Middle grade series that I think will be a real winner! But these are a post for another day. 

Question What have you been up to? Planning any promos for the summer? Do you use QR codes for people to download copies of your books?

20 comments:

  1. Seems like you got a good plan ahead of you for promoting. Not sure if I ever told you the story, but years ago before Eragon got picked up by a major publisher, the author, Christopher Paolini, would go out marketing the book. He lived in Montana at the same time we lived in Montana. He did a lot of coffee shop/bookstore type venues as well as libraries. My daughter was into that type of book at the time so when I saw his presentation scheduled at the local library, we went to it. Very fascinating presentation and of course we bought the book that he autographed. This was when he was self producing the book. She read half the book and long story short she didn't finish it for a variety of reasons. I was cleaning out her room a few months later and saw the book and decided to give it away after removing his autograph to her with her name. Found out a few years later an autographed copy of his original work was worth $5000. You just never know.......

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty for the inspiring response! If and when I do hit the big time I'll be sure to remember you!

      Delete
  2. I love how you're "taking it to the street"! I think it's true that working with vendors in your area (and getting newspaper and TV exposure) garners more support. People love it when they know a local author. Good luck with the promo campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been impressed with the way you handle in-person sales! That probably leads to word of mouth sales, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a really detailed marketing plan. Awesome that it includes book signings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie, I sure do miss book signings. These days we have to make it happen rather than picking up the phone and asking a book store for a book signing that more often than not worked.

      Delete
  5. I don't go to festivals anymore - most here don't attract readers and the booths cost too much. Libraries are good sometimes, if you can get in. (They tend to prefer non-fiction and historical stuff.) But anyplace you can appear for free is a big plus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a QR code on one of my business cards that takes people to a link that has all my books listed. I haven't planned much for summer, but that's normal for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, a QR code on a business card is great! Simple, yet effective.

      Delete
  7. You've got a good marketing plan in place I think. It seems like the one on one sales opportunities would be your best shots so it's good that you're planning a lot of those. Let us know the outcome of all of your efforts.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're far more ambitious than I am. I used to hold a statewide position, which meant I was fairly well-known by a lot of people around the state, particularly amateur radio operators. Shortly after my book launched, there was a ham fest in the area, so I carried some of my books there. Sold all of them, sold them quickly, and could have sold many more. But I've never done it again. Why? Because of the tax laws in our state, which I found out about after that first venture. One writer here got hit with a $1500 fine for failing to file a report with the state on the books he'd sold in a two-month period... and he hadn't sold ANY. I decided it was too much of a hassle to risk. I didn't want to set myself up as a business, and have to file monthly reports to the state. Just not worth it. But your plan sounds great, and I wish you a lot of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I filed with the California State Board of Equalization and file my meager profits on my taxes each year. I've heard of people being slammed like that. Better safe than sorry.

      Delete
  9. Good luck with hawking those books. I'm terrible at doing that, so I appreciate people who are good at it. I'll be heading to Texas for a TeenBookfest. They've invited a lot of us young adult writers and I'm looking forward to sitting on some panels, talking with others who write what I do and maybe selling a few books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so good at sharing what you're doing with promotion. I can't wait to hear how it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. Pretty amazing! My book doesn't come out until August, so I'll be doing most of my stuff in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are awesome promo plans! I can't wait to be able to do book signings and festivals. You'll sell books out of your trunk? You have more guts than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrys, you'd be surprised at how easy this is. Try it with a small amount and just have fun with it. Passerbys are far more receptive than you'd think. Just be sure to use the "Square" to process online payments.

      Delete
  13. Hi Stephen - exactly as the others have said ... you've really got a plan and are always trying new things - all I can say is good luck to you - your heart and sales head are in the same place ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. You sound well prepared. Me? I'm just trying to get some writing done. :)

    Good luck with your promotions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loni, thanks for stopping by and best wishes to you and your writing!

      Delete